Re: user defined data types - help

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: user defined data types - help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 15 Sep 2002 at 11:56, Sathish Vadhiyar wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > You can probably  use array of ints etc. for column types. That may solve one
> > of your problem..
>
> If I understand you right, I guess you are suggesting to have a table
> corresponding to this structure and each field of this table will be array
> of doubles for bandwidths, array of doubles for latency, array of text for
> machine names etc.

Well.. yes.

> Let us call this table as MACHINETABLE. And let us call the original table
> I was mentioning in my previous mail where I want to store this structure
> in a field as the BIGTABLE. So, in this scheme, whenever I want to store
> the structure in a field in the BIGTABLE, I will insert a row for the
> structure in MACHINETABLE and somehow make the field in the BIGTABLE
> point to this row.
>
> Is this the kind of thing you had in mind? Is it possible to have a field
> in a table point to a row in another table? In that what should be the
> type of the field be?

Isn't it possible with some kind of referential integrity constraint? Some
id/sequence etc?

Of course fetching a complete row would be a matter to two sql queries now. But
anyway when your data model is broken apart in pieces that's bound to happen//

Bye
 Shridhar

--
The Fifth Rule:    You have taken yourself too seriously.