Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Assignments in PL/pgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Michael,
>
> > although this is not really SQL, but PL/pgSQL, I hope this is the right
> > place to ask.
>
> This is the right place.
>
> > I have written a complex triggers. It works very well. Just now I have
> > realized that I have used the = operater for variable assignments, instead
> > of the := operater. To my suprise, there was no error or warning, and the
> > store procedure works very well!
> >
> > e.g.
> > NEW.someval = rec.someother;
> > works as well as
> > NEW.someval := rec.someother;
> >
> > Can you confirm that both are valid? Can someone explain this?
> > And is it safe to use the former syntax?
>
> I'm very surprised, too.   The "=" syntax is not per spec; my guess is,
> somebody coded in compatibility for DB conversion purposes and left it there.
> Jan?  Tom?

Er ... I don't recall completely, maybe it was more compatibility
to my own lazyness ;-/ (typing a colon means Shift-and-semicolon
... that's 2 saved keystrokes per assignment ... what do you
think where I save all the keystrokes I need to write email like
this?).

Jan

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive
me.                                  #
JanWieck@Yahoo.com #