[OT]Physical sites handling large data

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема [OT]Physical sites handling large data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

One of my friends is evaluating postgres for large databases. This is a select
intensive application which is something similar to data-warehousing as far as
I can see.

The data is 150GB in flat files so would swell to 200GB+ with indexes.

Is anybody running that kind of site? Any url? Any performance numbers/tuning
tips for random selects?

I would hate to put mysql there but we are evaluating that too. I would hate if
postgres loses this to mysql because I didn't know few things about postgres.

Secondly would it make a difference if I host that database on say, an HP-UX
box? From some tests I have done for my job, single CPU HP-UX box trounces 4
way xeon box. Any suggestions in this directions?

TIA..

ByeShridhar

--
Quality Control, n.:    The process of testing one out of every 1,000 units coming
off    a production line to make sure that at least one out of 100 works.