Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Дата
Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Hang on, you seem to be suggesting we release a major new upgrade, with
> > major new functionality, knowing it contains a way to trivially crash
> > the backend.
>
> This particular hole has been in *every* release since Postgres 1.01.

How many releases have we known about this and still done a major
release?
> I'm really not interested in responding to any argument that we cannot
> release 7.3 until we have fixed everything that could be labeled a DOS
> threat.  7.3 already contains a bunch of bug fixes; shall we postpone
> releasing those because there are other unfixed bugs?

How trivial are they to exploit?

For example, thinking about something like the various ISP's around who
host PostgreSQL databases; how much effort would it take to fix the
vulnerabilities that let someone with remote access, but no ability to
run a "trusted" language, take out the backend?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi