Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Bug #728: Interactions between bytea and character encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

I said:
 > Here's the remaining issue that I remembered; see:
 > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00256.php
 >
 > The gist of this is that when client and server encoding don't match,
 > pg_do_encoding_conversion() gets called, regardless of data type.
 > This is the *wrong thing* to do for BYTEA data, I think. Fixing this,
 > combined with the UNKNOWNIN/OUT fix we did earlier, should eliminate
 > the need to escape the high bit characters when inputting bytea. The
 > only characters which *should* need to be escaped are the ones
 > originally escaped by PQescapeBytea. IMHO of course ;-)

Tatsuo or Tom can answer this better than me, but I don't think this can
be fixed without a fe/be protocol change, so I'd guess it's a
7.4 issue. But, if there is a way to do it now, and someone gives me a
clue how to proceed, I'll try to get a patch together.

Joe