Newbie trying to load table with data...

От Kurt Gunderson
Тема Newbie trying to load table with data...
Дата
Re: Newbie trying to load table with data...  (Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>)
Список pgsql-novice
Sorry guys, I am new to Postgresql and have exhausted my reading
material.  I am trying to load a "k_device" table with records from an
pipe-delimited ascii file ("/home/kurt/data/sql.device.d").  In psql, I
get the following...

<FIRST>
test1=> COPY k_device FROM '/home/kurt/data/sql.device.d' USING
DELIMITERS '|';

ERROR:  You must have Postgres superuser privilege to do a COPY directly
to or from a file.  Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin.  Psql's
\copy command also works for anyone.
<\FIRST>

Okay so I am not the postgres superuser (nor can I ever be) so I try the
\copy command and I get the following...

<SECOND>
test1=> \copy "k_device" from "/home/kurt/data/sql.device.d" with
delimiters '|'

\copy: parse error at 'delimiters'
<\SECOND>

and...

<THIRD>
test1=> \copy "k_device" from "/home/kurt/data/sql.device.d" using
delimiters '|'

"/home/kurt/data/sql.device.d": No such file or directory
<\THIRD>

What am I doing wrong?  Please help.

K.