Re: Oracle Decode Function

От Marc Lavergne
Тема Re: Oracle Decode Function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> would be interested to hear a valid reason why you feel the need> to use decode().

Just let me start by saying that this is NOT for me (see the original
email in thread)! Personally, I have no trouble using CASE. However, if
I want to create an Oracle-compatibilty layer, I have to implement all
Oracle functions both good and bad ... my opinion either way is totally
irrelevant!
> if you find yourself using the decode statement, you are probably> doing something wrong. why have it, do you _need_
it?

The only place I have found DECODE/CASE to be attractive is in ORDER BY
clauses (hunts through code for example) ... imagine an LOV based on the
following:

create table some_list (id integer, label varchar(20), position integer);

-- defaults
insert into some_list values (-1,'Any Value',0)
insert into some_list values (0,'No Value',0)
-- values
insert into some_list values (1,'Apple',2)
insert into some_list values (2,'Orange',1)

select id, name from some_list
order by decode(id,-1,-999,0,-998,position) asc

Of course this is a highly diluted example so don't over-analyze it but
the intent is for the "default" entries (IDs -1 and 0) to always appear
first while giving the user the ability to change the label and position
values (but not the id) of any row, including the defaults. In this
case, shy of restricting the input for position based on individual row
IDs (imagine this is a JSP app), it makes much more sense to override
the position column using the id column and then just use a function
based index.
> seems that oracle gives you alot of functions and> abilities that allow dba's and programmers to be lazy, instead of>
havinga good db [relational] design (and that is more standards> compliant).

Oh heck yeah ... of course they do that! It locks you in to their
platform and makes migrating apps off of Oracle a more expensive
proposition. It's a really smart move when you have a huge chunk of the
market and you want to keep it that way. That's why converting from
PostgreSQL to Oracle is relatively easy while the reverse is ... well
tough. Oracle used to encourage standards but now the only thing I see
being encouraged is lock in ... that's why I'm here! ;-)

От: "Kangmo, Kim"
Сообщение: Re: tuple concurrently updated
От: "Kangmo, Kim"
Сообщение: Re: tuple concurrently updated