Re: How to get rid of dups...

От Kevin Brannen
Тема Re: How to get rid of dups...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
> I need to get rid of all rows that have dups in the columns
> tpa,pun,grn,claim ... i.e.
>
> 1--- 001 001 001 00-000001 John Doe
> 2--- 001 001 001 00-000001 Jane Doe
> 3--- 001 002 001 00-000001 John Doe
>
> 1 and 2 would be dups, 1 and 3 are diff records, 2 and 3 are diff
> records.
>
> I tried this as a test:
>
> select count(claimid), tpa, pun, grn, claim FROM claim_import GROUP BY
> tpa, pun, grn, claim HAVING count(claimid) > 1;
> 26 rows returned.
>
> then
>
> select distinct on (tpa,pun,grn,claim) count(claimid), tpa, pun, grn,
> claim FROM claim_import GROUP BY tpa, pun, grn, claim HAVING
> count(claimid) > 1;

It's not obvious to me what your key(s) is (all 3 columns?), but this is
a place where self-joins are useful.  Assuming a table like:

create table stuff (
    id int,    -- primary table key
    value int, -- unique data key
    ...);

You should be able to find the dups with something like:

select b.id
from stuff a, stuff b
where a.value = b.value
   and a.id < b.id;

Given that, then use it to get:

delete from stuff
   where id in (select b.id from stuff a, stuff b where ...);

Be careful and experiment with the select until you're 110% sure you
like what you see. :-)  Adapt this approach to your real table and you
should be set.

HTH,
Kevin