Re: Units for storage of internal time zone offsets

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Units for storage of internal time zone offsets
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Is there a reason for the restriction to one byte?  Offhand I don't
> recall that we store TZ offsets on disk at all...

Ah, we don't. Sorry I wasn't clear. This is only for the lookup table we
use to interpret time zones on *input*. It is contained in
src/backend/utils/adt/datetime.c

And it has no long-term ramifications; it is entirely self-contained and
does not result in information being stored on disk.

This table does not have any concept of multiple values for a particular
string time zone (e.g. "PST" or "EDT"). If/when we incorporate the zic
stuff we will still need this lookup table, unless we develop an API to
allow finding these within the zic database.
                   - Thomas