Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Дата
Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> When you say "We do not yet implement the SQL99 forms of character
> support", I think you mean the ability to specify per column (or even
> per string) charset. I don't think this would happen for 7.3(or 8.0
> whatever), but sometime later I would like to make it reality.

Right.

An aside: I was thinking about this some, from the PoV of using our
existing type system to handle this (as you might remember, this is an
inclination I've had for quite a while). I think that most things line
up fairly well to allow this (and having transaction-enabled features
may require it), but do notice that the SQL feature of allowing a
different character set for every column *name* does not map
particularly well to our underlying structures.
                    - Thomas