Re: Non-linear Performance

От Peter A. Daly
Тема Re: Non-linear Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>>What is the most amount of SORT_MEM it makes sense to allocate?
>>

>I've never experimented with it, but certainly the standard default
>(512K = 0.5M) is pretty small for modern machines.  In a 2G machine
>I might try settings around 100M-500M to see what works best.  (Note
>this is just for a one-off btree creation --- for ordinary queries you
>need to allow for multiple sorts going on in parallel, which is one
>reason the default sort_mem is not very large.)

I will run some benchmarks and let the list know the results.  If this
can speed it up a large amount, I can get another 6 gig of RAM into this
machine which I hope can let me leave the SORT_MEM at a high enough
amount to speed up our huge nightly batch database reload.

It's a Dual Xeon 500Mhz Machine.

-Pete

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Non-linear Performance
От: Doug Fields
Сообщение: Scaling with memory & disk planning (was Re: Non-linear Performance)