Re: How can I tell the performance difference?

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: How can I tell the performance difference?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a view which will be used very, very often in my database.  As such, I
> need to evaluate which of the two following structures is the best for that
> view.  However, I can't easily figure out which of the two explain plans
> looks more costly.  Can anybody help?

I would use PHP (or Perl or something) to generate some sample data
(i.e. a few hundred thousand records or so) and then use EXPLAIN ANALYZE
(after VACUUM ANALYZE of course ;-) ), instead of trying to guess
performance based on EXPLAIN output that won't be relevant once you have
data.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Joe