Re: scrambled data / security

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: scrambled data / security
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Shaun,

Have you considered encrypting the partition which your PostgreSQL
database is on?

For example, Mandrake 8.2 has partition encryption with it, other
distributions may follow, etc.

The most widely used Linux partition encryption is the CryptoAPI
project:

http://cryptoapi.sf.net

I've had this in use in production systems for more than one year (on a
journalling filesystem) for some sensitive data, and its really stable.

:-)

PS - Can you please change your mail sending format to be normal plain
text?  Some mail readers have a problem with multi-part email, etc (i.e
Netscape Communicator).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

"Johnson, Shaunn" wrote:
Howdy:

Running Postgres 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2.

Question about security.  I have data that I want to
present, except that the information is really
sensitive.

I know there is a way to scramble the data so
that it appears garbled.  How can I do that?
Where can I get find documents on that?  (I'm
looking in the PostgreSQL book and might
be missing it).

Thanks!

-X

   - Indira Gandhi