trouble with object names ...

От Gunther Schadow
Тема trouble with object names ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I always hated the fact that Oracle limits the object names to
31 characters. Why is pgsql doing the same? I thought the cool
thing about pgsql was that it made no difference how big a
string value is and varchar limits were more or less a backwards-
compatibility "feature". Why this constraint on names?

This is a real problem with the automatic name comer-upper for
things like constraingts. For instance:

CREATE TABLE Clinical_variable (
   value_quantitative_low_bound char
     CHECK (value_quantitative_low_bound IN ('[', '(');
   value_quantitative_high_bound
     CHECK (value_quantitative_high_bound IN (']', ')');
)

which leads to:

ERROR:  Duplicate CHECK constraint name: 'clinical_variab_value_quantitat'

apparently it simply concatenates the table name and column
name then truncates to fit. That is never safe. I could fix
the name generator but I really would prefer no length
contraints instead. Is that a big deal?

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine