[Q] Distributing a binary of postgres with my software and license

От Sudhakar Chandra
Тема [Q] Distributing a binary of postgres with my software and license
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I am working on a web application where the backend data is stored in a
PostgreSQL db.  A PHP application is the UI into the DB.  I want to
distribute this application in a CD-ROM so that people can still use it
off-line.

I was thinking of shipping a CD along with an installer.  The installer
would install a web server + the php engine on the client coumputer.  I
want to ship a binary version of PostgreSQL along with the CD.  I have a
few questions:

1. Is it possible to embed a postgresql db into an application like I
mention.  Perhaps as a DLL (WinDOS) or as a .so (unix)?  Ideally, I do
not want to install a full fledged DB on the client's machine.  It would
be nice if my code  linked against a DLL/.so which took care of
everything without the need to run a postgresql daemon on the client
machine.

2. My understanding of the BSD license is that it allows this kind of
redistribution.  Am I correct?

3. If '1' were possible, can the binary database file be encrupted in
some way?  Even a trivial encryption is fine.

Thanks.

S.
--
Homer: Let the bears pay the Bear Patrol tax.  I pay the Homer tax.
Lisa: Dad, that is the *Home Owner* tax.