Re-connecting dropped connections

От Bruce Badger
Тема Re-connecting dropped connections
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

I'm the author of the Smalltalk PostgreSQL library (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/st-postgresql/).  This library uses the
socket level frontend/backend protocol and allows Smaltalk programers to
build PostgreSQL apps.

Here is a question from someone who uses the library.  It boils down to:
Is there any way to re-connect to an existing session if the connection
briefly drops?

The question I received ...
______________________

I've been having, more or less forever, problems with connecting to
postgres. Half-way through publishing things just die. I'm pretty sure
this is my isp's fault, because I know that my connection just drops for
intervals ranging from very short to quite lengthy. e.g. I get kicked of
IRC, and depending how long the disconnect is, I may or may not be able
to automatically reconnect. If it's too long, it decides I spelled the
host name wrong because it can't get to the dns servers and gives up. I
think that shorter versions of this are killing my postgres connects
(this shows up in VW as a ECONNREST error). I also think it's my ISP
because it happens to both my Linux box and my Windows machine.

However, it doesn't affect Oracle connections. This makes me wonder if
there's something that could be done to make the postgres connections
more robust and able to re-establish the connection if it goes away
briefly. Obviously if it goes away badly enough that my transaction
state is lost I'm out of luck, but I wonder if there's somewhere in the
middle that there's room to work.