Re: Not Finding password for Postgres user on Linux

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Not Finding password for Postgres user on Linux
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> However again it asks me to get connected to Postgres user for Linux.

If you installed from RPMs, then the *system* account for the Postgres
user has a disabled password by default. You will need to ask your
sysadmin to set the password for you before you can log in to that
account (unless you su to that account via the root account first; I
gather that you do not have root privs on that machine).

> Now I have gone through installations and nowhere I found any default
> password for postgres user.

There are two possible accounts (and passwords) to consider, and your
description has left us confused over which you are asking about. You
will need to set a password for the system account, as mentioned above,
and as others have mentioned the *PostgreSQL* account for the Postgres
user has an empty password by default.

Once you have created another user in the database, say "amol", with
full privileges you will find that you do not need to be the Postgres
user very often.

hth

                   - Thomas