Re: Proposal for a configurable ResultSet implementation

От Barry Lind
Тема Re: Proposal for a configurable ResultSet implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Peter,

This is already listed on the todo list.  I agree that this
functionality is useful and necessary under some circumstances, and I
don't think it will be too hard to implement.  I was planning on doing
this for 7.3, but if you want to work on this, I can work on other todo
items.

There are some interesting cases to look at.  For example how would you
handle the following:

ResultSet l_rset = l_stmt.executeQuery(
    "insert into foo values(1,2,3); " +
    "select * from foo; ");

You can do this sort of bunching of multiple sql statements into one
call today and it will work (in fact I use this often to reduce network
roundtrips).  The result set returned will be for the last statement
executed in the bunch.  How do you implicitly turn this into something
that usese cursors, without needing to implement a parser in the jdbc code?

The complexity of this feature isn't in making the functionality work,
but in understanding when it can or should be used and when it can't or
shouldn't be used.

thanks,
--Barry