Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?

От Barry Lind
Тема Re: What happend to the Exoffice XA package?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Peter,

Quite honestly this code was there before I started working on postgres.
  So I have always assumed that there were no lisensing issues.  However
I will ping the hackers list to verify.

However, I don't think there is a problem here either way.  Since
ultimately we want to support the full jdbc API, we will always want to
provide this functionality.  So even if there were license problems all
that would mean was that we would need to reimplement this functionality
ourselves.  It wouldn't be fun, but wouldn't be that hard either.

thanks,
--Barry

Kovács Péter wrote:

> Barry,
>
> My main point with my post was to clarify that there are no outstanding
> legal issues with the Exoffice contribution. I am not very familiar with
> legal issues (let alone copyright or licensing issues) and I was afraid that
> the package was removed for such reasons. (Some of you on this list may
> remember that not long ago a widely publicized open source application
> server project was closed because of obscure legal issues.)
>
> Also, if support for this kind of functionality (transaction support -- even
> if it is limited to isolated ("local") transactions) is discontinued as part
> of PostgreSQL, for purely efficiency reasons I would have to consider to
> integrate this package into my own package structure, which leads me back to
> the tricky domain of legal concerns.
>

>>1)  The code is incomplete and doesn't support many aspects
>>of the jdbc2
>>extentions that one might expect.  Thus posting a
>>

> Where do you see incompleteness in the code? Does this incompleteness
> relates to functionality relevant to PostgreSQL?
>
> I think that a quick look at the package structure of the xa classes (there
> is actually no structure, just one package) makes it obvious what they're
> for (which aspects of the jdbc2 extensions they're cover). The only
> extension these classes do not support seem to be RowSets. Since this
> package does not contain a class named 'RowSet' (or even close to it), one
> would instantly see (however novice she may be and even if she did not read
> the pertaining section of the accompanying readme file [to be written :-)])
> that this feature is not supported.
>
> Also, I am not sure, if there should be a separate jdbc7.1-1.2ee.jar file.
> This package implements optional/extended features which do not (should not)
> conflict with the basic jdbc2 functionality. There could be one single
> jdbc7.1-1.2.jar file with extensions, and if someone wants to use an
> extensions uses it.
>
> I suggest that we close this thread and continue the discussion on the
> closely related "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)" thread,
> since there's no point to maintain two separate threads on the same issue.
>

>>Now having said all of that, I would be very interested in
>>understanding
>>how/why you use the functionality provided by these xa classes.
>>

> Please, refer to the thread "[JDBC] Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For
> 7.3)" on this same list.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Peter

Сообщение: Re: Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)
Сообщение: Re: Submittal for JDBC Pooling driver (For 7.3)