Re: use BLOBS or use pointers to files on the filesystem?

От Brian Beuning
Тема Re: use BLOBS or use pointers to files on the filesystem?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I guess you need to go through the benefits you gets from a DBMS
and decide how they would work with files.

1. If the DBMS machine crashes, how do you "recover"?  If you overwrite
    BLOB files when you do DBMS updates you are in trouble.  If you always
add
    new files, then you need to figure out when it is safe to cleanup
(VACUUM) the old
    (unused) files.
2. How do you make consistent backups of your data?  Do you backup the
    DBMS or the files first?
3. If you lose some data (either in a table or in a BLOB file), how do you
get
    the data back (restore from backup) to a consistent state?
4. Is it OK for your application to use two different API's (SQL and file
system)
    to access data?

Don't get me wrong, I have been wrestling with the same decision.  Our app

needs to read and update a 10 KB blob in under a second.  It would
probably
be much faster using files.  But is the speed worth the reliability issues
mentioned
above?

Brian Beuning