Classes (Object Oriented) in PostgreSQL question

От Nikola Milutinovic
Тема Classes (Object Oriented) in PostgreSQL question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all.

I'm in the process of redesigning my database. I have seen some space
for object design in my data schema. Namely, I'm modeling my company and
it has organizational units: "parts", "sectors", "divisions" and
"subdivisions". Each of these look alike and form a tree.

So I thought to create a table "org_unit" containing common fields and
just inferit them for a particular unit type. Something like:

CREATE TABLE org_unit (
   id        int4
    PRIMARY KEY,
   name        text,
   manager_id    int4,
   ordering    int2,
   print        boolean
);

CREATE TABLE ou_part (
) INFERITS (org_unit);

CREATE TABLE ou_sector (
   part_id    int4,
   FOREIGN KEY( part_id ) REFERENCES ou_part
) INHERITS (org_unit);
CREATE TABLE official_mail (
   id        int4    PRIMARY KEY,
   e_mail    text,
   org_unit_id    int4,
   FOREIGN KEY( org_unit_id ) REFERENCES org_unit
);

Will this work? Both the foreign key in ou_* and in official_mail?

Nix.