TEXT datatype: compared to CHAR and VARCHAR

От Nikola Milutinovic
Тема TEXT datatype: compared to CHAR and VARCHAR
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all.

One quick question. I have a doubt, should I use CHAR/VARCHAR or TEXT
data types in my database?

Two points are of most concern:

- performance
- compatibility

Is VARCHAR faster for access/storing operations than TEXT? Since it
specifies the max. amount of space, one would think that it is better...

If I should choose to migrate my data to, say, Oracle, will TEXT field
cause problems in any way? I would have to rewrite the schema
definition, which can be painful for a larger database...

Your thoughts?

Nix.