Re: transitioning from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От Geoffrey J. Gowey
Тема Re: transitioning from MS SQL Server to Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I can give one suggestion: DTS is your friend.  At least for migration
of data.  One other thought though, if you want to make any changes to
your db layout, do them in MS SQL while you still can.  Pgsql is not
friendly to changes in db structure (dropping columns, changing data
types, etc).  If you have a lot of changes to be done use the query
analyzer.  DTS is too painful to do large scale changes in a migration.
 Also, another reason for changing the data with MS SQL before importing
to pgsql is that it will take sometime when DTS is transfering the data
(at least an hour).  When you do your migration the way to do is is
install the Pgsql ODBC driver on the MS SQL server, set it up, and
define it as you other data source in DTS.

Geoff