Re: Is data storage secure?

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: Is data storage secure?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Keary,

No it's not.  Something which I've seen done before is to have the
partition the data files are on be encrypted by the OS on-the-fly, such
that PostgreSQL reads and writes to the disk as per normal, but the OS
encrypts/decrypts the data before the actual writing.

This is a safeguard against stolen disks, but won't help in the
situation where the server is online and someone has access to the
active partition (where the OS is decrypting the data and presenting
it).

Guess it kind of depends on what you need.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Keary Suska wrote:

> Does postgres store data in an encrypted format, such that someone who has
> access to the database files can't hack out the contents?
>
> Keary Suska
> Esoteritech, Inc.
> "Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

> http://archives.postgresql.org

   - Indira Gandhi