Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit

От David Ford
Тема Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Not possible to accept both forms at present and issue a notice that
LIMIT m,n is deprecated?

If LIMIT m,n is found, internally re-write it to LIMIT m OFFSET n and
press on.

This should appease everyone and still allow the 'proper' form to be
implemented right now.  There isn't just the question of when it appears
in pgsql, but when it appears in everyone else's code that depends on
postgres.  If you delay LIMIT..OFFSET, then I too am affected in my
code.  If I use it today and my code is in beta (which it is), then when
it goes release, I'll have to issue a change in the future for that. Granted it's not a big thing for me, but if I have
200,000

installations, that means eventually there will have to be 200,000
upgrades when they upgrade postgres.

We all know that everyone updates their software frequently and in a
timely manner to keep things running smoothly, right?  *cough*

David