Fragmentation of WAL files

Список
Период
Сортировка
От Jim Nasby
Тема Fragmentation of WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Дерево обсуждения
Fragmentation of WAL files  (Jim Nasby, )
 Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Bill Moran, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Heikki Linnakangas, )
   Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Bill Moran, )
    Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  ("Craig A. James", )
     Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Gregory Stark, )
      Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Florian Weimer, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Greg Smith, )
I was recently running defrag on my windows/parallels VM and noticed
a bunch of WAL files that defrag couldn't take care of, presumably
because the database was running. What's disturbing to me is that
these files all had ~2000 fragments. Now, this was an EnterpriseDB
database which means the WAL files were 64MB instead of 16MB, but
even having 500 fragments for a 16MB WAL file seems like it would
definitely impact performance.

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't know if this is a windows-only
issue, but I don't know of a way to check fragmentation in unix.
--
Jim Nasby