Re: php-psql lock problem. Thanks!

От mlw
Тема Re: php-psql lock problem. Thanks!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm not sure what the answer to your problem is, but I'm sure you have the
wrong approach.

For all practical purposes, client/server database programming is a
multiprocessing problem set. What you are trying to implement is a mutex. A
mutex is a mutual exclusion tool. You can't reliably do what you think you are
doing.

If one process asks if something is locked, and the answer is no, in the
interim time another process can do the same thing. You will still have a
deadlock situation because [n] processes can read something as unlocked, and
then set themselves on a course of action in which all will attempt to lock.
You may reduce the probability, but you can not eliminate it.

You will need to come up with a mutex protocol. i.e.

<?php$res = pg_exec($conn, "select mylock()");
if(pg_Result($res, "mylock") == "yes")){    (***)    pg_exec($conn, "select myunlock()");}else    // is locked do
somethingelse

?>

The "mylock" and the "myunlock" have to work across the multiple PostgreSQL
processes and use SYSV semaphore or something to manage the lock.

So, what end result are you trying to have? Are you saying you want one user to
be able to lock a table for a series of transactions, while another can use it
in a readonly fashion? But it only gets read-only access if something is
already locked? What if it needs to update? Since you mention PHP, I assume
this is a web site or something. Since you mention login, I assume you are
writing some sort of session manager.

AFAIK SQL does not have the concept of a testable Mutex, you will have to write
your own. But if you are doing a session manager in PHP, email me directly, I
have a number of suggestions.