Re: enable-unicode-conversion option?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: enable-unicode-conversion option?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Hannu Krosing writes:
>
> > I'm contemplating porting pg to PocketPC/WinCE platform and there the
> > size does matter. And as WinCE is pure unicode platform there should be
> > no need for 'conversions'.
>
> The Unicode support is about 1 MB on disk.  If you want to run a server
> and you don't have the extra 1 MB then you've got problems.

A server does not necessaryly mean "A Huge DataWarehousing Server", it
may
be just a fancy addressbook with some growth potential.

> Plus, you might have clients connecting that are not pure Unicode.

I may refuse to serve them ;)

> Of course I don't completely understand the setup you have in mind.  Is
> WinCE POSIX-compatible?

no. it is an embedded os most compatible to Win32 (an OS found on some
Intel x86 based PC's ;) so it would be much easier if a non-cygwin Win32
port was done first.

it is run on Compaqs iPAQ and other handheld devices, where memory is
still
a bit problem (16MB of Flash ROM and 32-64 of RAM in standard
configurations,
iPAQ has 200MHz StrongARM processor) While that may seem very little
now, I've
run postgres on much worse hardware only a few years ago (40MHz 486sx
with
16Mb ram and 20Mb HDD)

The port, if ever done, will require much mucking about in internals and
may
not be possible inside the main source tree anyway so you should not
worry too
much if removing --enable-unicode-conversion would make some things much
easier.

The clients will mostly connect from the same device and quite likely
one
at a time.

As linux is already ported to iPAQ it may be easier to use Linux version
of
postgres there but even then space consuption is of some concern.

OTOH it seems to be a good goal to have Postgres be able to run
everywhere
where Linux can ;)

Hannu