query help

От Jeff Patterson
Тема query help
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This seems like such a basic function that I'm sure I am missing something
fundamental. I have a table, say xref, whose columns are primary key values for
other tables. Some of theses keys may be NULL for a given row in xref. I want
to create a query that returns the corresponding entries in the other tables.

xref:
drug_id | function_id|syst_id |text_id
--------------------------
d0001  |      2          |   3      | 3423
d0001  |      5          |           | 5678
d0056  |      3          |   5      |

system_id:
syst_id | syst_desc
--------------
3         | renal
4         | hepatic
5         |  respiratory

clinical_text:
text_id| clinical_text
3423  | 'some medical mumbo jumbo'
5678  | 'more of the same'

I want the syst_desc and clinical_text (plus other similar data from tables not
shown) given a drug_id and function_id.

Any help?

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff Patterson