Re: Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Barry Lind wrote:

> I agree with Hannu, that:
>
>   * make SQL changes to allow PREPARE/EXECUTE in main session, not only
> in SPI

A more ambitious project would be

* develop an ANSI standard SQL/CLI compatible postgreSQL client library, change wire protocol and SQL language as
needed;)

> is an important feature to expose out to the client.  My primary reason
> is a perfomance one.  Allowing the client to parse a SQL statement once
> and then supplying bind values for arguments and executing it multiple
> times can save a significant amount of server CPU, since the parsing and
> planning of the statement is only done once, even though multiple
> executions occur.  This functionality is available in the backend
> (through SPI) and plpgsql uses it, but there isn't anyway to take
> advantage of this SPI functionality on the client (i.e. jdbc, odbc, etc.)
>
> I could see this implemented in different ways.  One, by adding new SQL
> commands to bind or execute an already open statement, or two, by
> changing the FE/BE protocol to allow the client to open, parse,
> describe, bind, execute and close a statement as separate actions that
> can be sent to the server in one or more requests.  (The latter is how
> Oracle does it).

The latter is also the ODBS and JDBC wiew of how it is done. The current
PG drivers have to fake it all on client side.

> I also would like to see this added to the todo list.

Hannu