Re: Re: List response time...

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Re: List response time...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Ford wrote:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> >>Mailing lists don't scale well to large numbers of subscribers.  I see this
> >>delay constantly,on multiple lists.  The bigger the list gets, the slower the
> >>list gets (and the more loaded the server gets, right Marc? :-)).
> >>

> >Note that the postgresql.org mail server is still running sendmail.
> >In my personal experience with sources.redhat.com, qmail is a much
> >better choice to handle large mailing lists.  When we switched from
> >sendmail to qmail, mailing list delays dropped from hours, or
> >sometimes even days, to seconds.
> >

> It's all in the configuration.  I slam mails around dozens of machines
> in seconds using sendmail and I process a lot of mail.

Not only configuration. A friend of mine upgraded a computer that was
unable
to handle the mail feed from P200 to PIII 800 going from sendmail to
qmail at
the same time. The load average dropped from "allways very busy" to
0.02.

It is possible that it is mainly from better conf and faster processor
but then
I'd claim that qmail is easier to configure for big load.

Hannu