Re: Locale by default?

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема Re: Locale by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue writes:
>
> > I would object even if there's such a way.
> > People in Japan have hardly noticed that the strange
> > behabior is due to the strange locale(LC_COLLATE).
>
> I don't think we should design our systems in a way that inconveniences
> many users because some users are using broken operating systems. If
> Japanese users have not realized yet that the locale support they are
> using is broken,

I don't know if the locale support is broken in Japan.
I can't think of any reasonable Japanese collating sequence
at once(maybe for ever).  I don't think people should know
about the existence of collating sequences in Japan.

> then it's not the right solution to disable it in
> PostgreSQL by default.  In that case the problem would just persist for
> the system as a whole.  The right solution is for them to turn off locale
> support in their operating system, the way it's supposed to be done.

DBMS should be independent from the OS settings as far as
possible especially in the handling of data. Currently we
could hardly judge if we are running on a locale or not from
the dbms POV and it doesn't seem a dbms kind of thing in the
first place. I'm a dbms guy not an OS guy and really dislike
the requirement for users to export LC_ALL=C.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue