Re: Link to bug webpage

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: Link to bug webpage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> What who thinks of what has actually become irrelevant.  The following
> is clear:
>
>         o No tool will replace the mailing lists
>         o The mailing lists are where discussion will be held
>         o Many/most maintainers have no desire to update bug reports

If anyone is interested, I am willing to undertake to be the link between
the bugs mailing list and a bugs database.  This should allow developers to
continue to deal with the mailing list, just CCing a special e-mail address
whenever a bug was fixed.  I would then take care of finding the
appropriate bug(s) in the database and marking them as fixed.

There are two large, well-used bugs databases that I am aware of with
somewhat different strengths:- The Debian Bug Tracking System- Bugzilla
there are a gazillion others, of course, but let's just consider those two
for the moment.

In some ways the Debian bug tracking system is a closer fit to the way
PostgreSQL currently works, since it drives into a mailing list, bug
submission is via e-mail and bug control is via e-mail as well.

Bugzilla is probably a closer fit in reality, since it is more focused
around bugs for a single application.  If Bugzilla were installed I'm sure
some functionality could be added into it along the lines of the Debian BTS
too.

Regards,                Andrew.
--
.net . nz

Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64(21)635-694,  Fax:+64(4)499-5596, Office: +64(4)499-2267xtn709