Re: OID unsigned long long

От mlw
Тема Re: OID unsigned long long
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> > Aside from adding %llu to all the %u everywhere an OID is used in a
> > printf, and any other warnings, are there any other things I should be
> > specially concerned about?
>
> FE/BE protocol, a/k/a client/server interoperability.  Flagging a
> database so that a backend with the wrong OID size won't try to run in
> it.  Alignment --- on machines where long long has to be 8-byte aligned,
> TOAST references as presently constituted will crash, because varlena
> datatypes in general are only 4-byte aligned.  There are more, but that
> will do for starters.

I will have to look at that, thanks.

> BTW, I think #ifdef would be a totally unworkable way to attack the
> format-string problem.  The code clutter of #ifdef'ing everyplace that
> presently uses %u would be a nightmare; the impact on
> internationalization files would be worse.  And don't forget that %llu
> would be the right thing on only some machines; others like %qu, and
> DEC Alphas think %lu is just fine.

What do you think of making two entries in the various printf strings, and
using macros to split up an OID, as:

printf("OID: %u:%u", HIGHOID(od) LOWOID(oid))

That may satisfy your concern for #ifdef's everywhere, and it could mean I
could submit my patches back without breaking any code, so PostgreSQL could be
closer to a 64 bit OID.