hardware for PostgreSQL

От Mark Floyd
Тема hardware for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello,

I am new to setting up PostgreSQL machines for our operational
environments and would appreciate if someone can take a look at this
setup; throw tomatoes if it looks too bad.  We're expecting an
initial load of about 5 million text meta-data records to our
database; and are expecting upwards of 50 million records by 2008.
We are expecting 40 "connect-query-disconnect' clients every 5
minutes or so, and are looking at 15 connections/sec on our front
facing components.  We've designed a set of Dell systems which we are
planning to stick into our Slony/PgPool-II hybrid cluster; taking
over our current random hodgepodge of machines we used when first
experimenting.  Each of these systems will be identical.  Speed is
important but we are putting more weight on the storage aspects.
Below is our model system:

Dell PowerEdge Energy 2950
(2)  Quad Core Intel Xeon L5320, 2x4MB Cache, 1.86Ghz, 1066Mhz FSB
4GB 667Mhz Dual Ranked DIMMs, Energy Smart

PERC 5/i, x8 Backplane, Integrated Controller Card

Hard Drive Configuration: Integrated SAS/SATA RAID1/Raid 5

Hard Drive 1 (For Operating System): 36GB 10K RPM SAS 3Gbps 2.5-in
Hot Plug HD
Hard Drive 2 (For logs): 36GB 10K RPM SAS 3Gbps 2.5-in Hot Plug HD

Hard Drives 3,4,5,6 (In a RAID 5 Configuration): (4) 146GB 10K SAS
3Gbps Hard Drive, 2-5 inch, Hot Plug

Network Adapter: Dual Embedded Broadcom NetXTreme II 5708 Gigabit
Ethernet NIC

It's overkill for our initial system but we are shooting for a system
that allows for growth.  If someone can let us know if we're on the
right path or are shooting ourselves in the foot with this setup I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,

- Mark