Re: Revised Patch to allow multiple table locks in "Unison"

От Fernando Nasser
Тема Re: Revised Patch to allow multiple table locks in "Unison"
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> Fernando Nasser <fnasser@cygnus.com> writes:
> > BTW, it seems we have a SQL non-conformance issue here: views that are
> > only projections+selections of a single base table are SQL-updatable.
>
> Indeed.  In Postgres terms I think this means that if a CREATE VIEW
> describes a view that meets the spec's constraints to be "updatable",
> we should automatically create a default set of insert/update/delete
> rules for it.  This is (or should be) on the TODO list.

Agreed.

We should also emit an error if someone tries to update a non-updatable view
(i.e., it is a view and there is no user defined rules for that update operation).
Silently ignoring the update scares me and I bet it is not what the standard
would tell us to do.  Any suggestion on how can we do this?  I thought of
adding default rules for those cases so they generate the error.  But we would
need an error() function or something to invoke from there.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com