Re: RE: [SQL] Database Design Question

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: RE: [SQL] Database Design Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gonzo Rock wrote:

> OK... Fair Enough... Good Points indeed y'all.
>
> Well... What about the problem of users trying to Query the Database??
>
> You know... like when using Crystal Reports or something?.
>
> SELECT * from HistoryTable
> WHERE PartID = SomeInteger
>
> vs
>
> SELECT * from HistoryTable
> WHERE PartNum = 12345636 AND PartRev = C
>
> How are they supposed to know What the PartID is ??
>
> Anyway, that I why I was considering changing... current users always have trouble peering into the database... They
don'tquite get it.

Depending upon the sophistication of your users, you might want to
consider constructing a number of views where the data is pre-joined
(totally denormalized). We essentially do the same thing for both the
reasons you provide as well as for security purposes (row security)
based upon the value of CURRENT_USER.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com