Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> > > I don't love current OIDs. However they have lived in PostgreSQL's
> > > world too long and few people have pointed out that there's no magic
> > > around OIDs. I agree to change OIDs to be per class but strongly
> > > object to let OIDs optional.
> >
> > Uh ... what?  I don't follow what you are proposing here.
> >

> I couldn't think of the cases that we need database-wide
> uniqueness. So the uniqueness of OIDs could be only within
> a table. But I object to the option that tables could have
> no OIDs.

It seems that I'm the only one who objects to optional OIDs
as usual:-).
IMHO OIDs are not for system but for users.
OIDs have lived in PostgreSQL world from the first(???).
Isn't it sufficiently long for users to believe that OIDs
are unique (at least per table) ?
As I mentioned already I'm implementing updatable cursors
in ODBC and have half done it. If OIDs would be optional
my trial loses its validity but I would never try another
implementation.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue