Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > If you want to make oids optional on user tables,
> > > we can vote on that.
> >
> > Let's vote. I'm proposing optional oids for 2-3 years,
> > so you know how I'll vote -:)
>
> OK, we need to vote on whether Oid's are optional, and whether we can
> have them not created by default.

I don't love current OIDs. However they have lived in PostgreSQL's
world too long and few people have pointed out that there's no magic
around OIDs. I agree to change OIDs to be per class but strongly
object to let OIDs optional.

It's a big pain for generic applications to lose OIDs.
In fact I'm implementing updatable cursors in ODBC using
OIDs and Tids.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue