Re: Re: Postgresql bulk fast loader

От Guy Fraser
Тема Re: Re: Postgresql bulk fast loader
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Volpe wrote:

> Avoid doing this with indexes on the table, though. I learned the hard way!
>
> Mark
>
> mlw wrote:
> >
> > Naomi Walker wrote:
> > >
> > > Does postgresql have any sort of fast bulk loader?
> >
> > It has a very cool SQL extension called COPY. Super fast.
> >
> > Command:     COPY
> > Syntax:
> > COPY [ BINARY ] table [ WITH OIDS ]
> >     FROM { 'filename' | stdin }
> >     [ [USING] DELIMITERS 'delimiter' ]
> >     [ WITH NULL AS 'null string' ]
> > COPY [ BINARY ] table [ WITH OIDS ]
> >     TO { 'filename' | stdout }
> >     [ [USING] DELIMITERS 'delimiter' ]
> >     [ WITH NULL AS 'null string' ]

Hi

On a daily basis I have an automated procedure that that bulk copies
information into a "holding" table. I scan for duplicates and put the
OID for the first unique record into a temporary table. Using the OID
and other information I do an INSERT with SELECT to move the unique
data into its appropriate table. Then I remove the unique records and
move the duplicates into a debugging table. After that I remove the
remaining records and drop the temporary tables. Once this is done I
vacuum the tables and regenerate the indexes.

This sounds complicated but by doing things in quick simple transactions
the database is able to run continuously without disruption. I am able
to import 30+ MB of data every day with only a small disruption when
updating the the summary tables.

Guy Fraser

--
There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you