Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

От Scott Carey
Тема Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> 2) I've heard that some SSD have utilities that you can use to query
> the write cycles in order to estimate lifespan.  Does this one, and is
> it possible to publish the output (an approximation of the amount of
> work along with this would be wonderful)?

On the intel drives, its available via SMART.  Plenty of hits on how to read the data from google.  Sandforce drives
probablyhave it exposed via SMART as well.

I have had over 50 X25-M's (80GB G1's) in production for 22 months that write ~100GB a day and SMART reports they have
78%of their write cycles left.  Plus, when it dies from usage it supposedly enters a read-only state.  (these only have
recoverabledata so data loss on power failure is not a concern for me).

So if Sandforce has low write amplification like Intel (they claim to be better) longevity should be fine.