Changing from default configuration options in 7.1?

От Steve Wampler
Тема Changing from default configuration options in 7.1?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I just upgraded from 7.0.3 to  7.1 (using the RH rpms) with no
major problems.  Nice!

However, I'm getting some strange behaviour from the init
script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql).  In particular, a
restart when the database is running fails because the
"sleep 2" in stop() is no longer long enough (on a dual-cpu
PIII/650 machine!).  So "pidof postmaster" returns a non-null
value and *that* results in a syntax error:

  Checking postgresql installation:                          [  OK  ]
  ./postgresql: [: 18209: unary operator expected

(I think the test should become something like "if [ -n "$pid" ];..."
instead of just "if [ $pid ]", which at least prevents the
syntax error...)

Of course, fixing the syntax error isn't the main problem, which
is that the shutdown of the old postmaster(s) hasn't completed yet,
resulting in a "false positive" from the pidof operation.

I bumped the "sleep 2" up to "sleep 5" and the problem went away.
Surely there's a better fix?

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu