Re: function to format floats as money?

От Mark Stosberg
Тема Re: function to format floats as money?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Mark Stosberg writes:
>
> >   I'm curious to know if there is a function available in Postgres 7.0.3
> > (or 7.1) that will format a float style number as "money". I understand
> > that the money type is going away in the future, so using a float type
> > that is sometimes formatted like money seems like a good alternative. So
> > ideally, I'm looking for a solution that won't go away when the money type
> > does. :) Thanks!
>
> to_char() for formatting.
>
> numeric for storage.
>
> Using floats for monetary amounts is not only an extremely bad idea
> because of the inexactness of storage and arithmetic, it might even be
> illegal if you're using it for official purposes.

Thanks Peter.
 So  if the money type is going away, and floats can be illegal, whats
the best way to store money?
 -mark

personal website             }      Summersault Website Development
http://mark.stosberg.com/    {      http://www.summersault.com/

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Rini Dutta
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] drastic reduction in speed of inserts as the table grows
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] drastic reduction in speed of inserts as the table grows