Searching LOADS of records | ANSWER

От Dennis Fleurbaaij
Тема Searching LOADS of records | ANSWER
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Okay this is going to be off topic as this an answer rather than a
question :)

I've build a database which has LOADS of tupels (records) containing the
filenames
and other info about files in a network. This db is over 5 million
records in size and
is heavily loaded.

You can imagine that this was dead-slow when i did a select (about 10-40
seconds response time). After my first post here I've investigated the
FTI of Full Text Indexing. This is a contrib
of the database. This brought down search-times back to < 0.5 seconds :)

So if anybody has the same problems as I had with too slow queries and
too large databases
on slow machines (my laptop isn't exactly SCSI3 raid0 15Krpm :) try that
avenue this
has helped me greatly and I encourage everybody to try it.

Ow a shoutout to Justin Clift for pointing me in the right direction.

Hope this helps,
Dennis Fleurbaaij
dennis@core-lan.nl