Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client?

От Keith G. Murphy
Тема Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Paul A. Lender" wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I submitted this directly to the novice and general news groups -- getting
> no responses -- before I had subscribed to the list, and I apologize to
> anyone who may have responded previously.
>
> I've got a FreeBSD 4.2 box running PostgreSQL 7.0.3 and Windows clients
> that talk to it via LIBPQ.DLL (Zeos controls, ODBC, pgAccess...).
>
> I have a firewall on the BSD box using ipf, but I have to assume -- at
> least for the sake of argument -- that someone can still monitor data
> coming off the box.
>
> MY QUESTION -- When query results are sent to the client, where does the
> conversion of stored binary data to easily readable text take
> place:  on the server before it leaves for the clients, or at libpq.dll ON
> the clients?

On the server, though I imagine the "binary data" itself would be fairly
easy to read as well.

> If the transfer between boxes is text, does anyone have experience using an
> encrypted connection between a Unix box and a Windows client (without using
> a web server, that is)?

The one I know about is SSH using TeraTerm + TTSSH.  But that gives you
a (probably) unwanted terminal window, and there are probably other
methods.

Is there really no *other* confidential information going back and forth
on your LAN?

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Snapshot.base.tar.gz vs Snapshot.tar.gz
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: cant delete row