INSTALL document alteration

От Justin Clift
Тема INSTALL document alteration
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi all,

I think the "INSTALL" document needs to be updated to tell people if
they are running a snapshot or beta version older than 7.1beta6, they'll
need to backup their database, do an initdb and restore their data, as
per Tom's email the other day.

If this sounds like I good idea, I've attached a .diff for the INSTALL
document of wording I think sounds alright.  Feel free to use it if it
sounds good.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift*** INSTALL.old    Sun Mar 25 17:05:36 2001
--- INSTALL    Sun Mar 25 17:06:34 2001
***************
*** 84,90 ****
  The internal data storage format changes with new releases of PostgreSQL.
  Therefore, if you are upgrading an existing installation that does not have
  a version number "7.1.x", you must back up and restore your data as shown
! here. These instructions assume that your existing installation is under the
  /usr/local/pgsql directory, and that the data area is in
  /usr/local/pgsql/data. Substitute your paths appropriately.

  The internal data storage format changes with new releases of PostgreSQL.
  Therefore, if you are upgrading an existing installation that does not have
  a version number "7.1.x", you must back up and restore your data as shown
! here.  This also applies if you are upgrading from a snapshot or beta
! version of PostgreSQL 7.1 earlier than beta 6.