Re: Re: xlog loose ends, continued

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: Re: xlog loose ends, continued
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev@SECTORBASE.COM> writes:
> >> That'll be true in any case, unless we refuse to start up at all upon
> >> detecting xlog corruption (which doesn't seem like the way to fly).
> >> Not sure what we can do about that.
>
> > What I would refuse in the event of log corruption is continuing
> > normal database operations.
>
> Hmm.  We could do that if we had some notion of a read-only operating
> mode, perhaps.  But we don't have one now and I don't want to add it
> for 7.1.  Can we agree to look at this more for 7.2?

I'd love to see PostgreSQL have a read-only mode of some kind that let
enquiry function against a possibly otherwise corrupted database,
without the stress of worrying that you might be making things worse.

I know other DB servers that have this sort of thing, and it has been a
life-saver for me on occasion to allow critical information to be
extracted before you nuke it all and start over.

Cheers,            Andrew.
--
Andrew@catalyst.net.nz