Re: trouble configuring Postgres with Identd authentication

От Mark Stosberg
Тема Re: trouble configuring Postgres with Identd authentication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> writes:
> >   Tonight I tinkered with getting identd authentication working
> > with Postgres 7.0.2. It appeared to accept my configuration, but the
> > connections were failing when it
> > seemed they shouldn't.
>
> Is there a firewall or router between the client and server machines?
> I've found the hard way that identd doesn't work for connections that
> pass through a NAT-enabled router, because the port numbers are
> different on the two sides of the router, so that the port number sent
> in the ident request doesn't match anything the identd daemon can see.
> (I suppose the router could fix this if it knew about ident requests,
> but at least my Netopia router does not do that ...)

Thanks for the response Tom. There is no firewall or our router between
the machines, and they are on the same LAN.

> > The sequence looked like this:
>
> > #####
> > elkhorn@ns elkhorn> psql -d elkhorn -u
> > psql: Warning: The -u option is deprecated. Use -U.
>
> Hm, is PGHOST set in the environment?  Otherwise this will try to do a
> Unix-socket connection, which does not work with ident.

Actually, I used the "-h host" option although I trimmed it out of the
example. In the production environment, I'll be using a Perl/DBI connect
string. Am I correct in my assumption that these are equivalent to
setting PGHOST?

Thanks,

  -mark

personal website             }      Summersault Website Development
http://mark.stosberg.com/    {      http://www.summersault.com/