can't connect, strange error

От Jeff Greer
Тема can't connect, strange error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Can someone tell me what is going on.  Below is a sample of
my interactive command line output inside postgres.  I can't
install 7.0.2 on my current linux machine.  I installed the
same version fine on two other linux machines.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jgreer=# \l
  List of databases
 Database  |  Owner
-----------+----------
 jgreer    | postgres
 postgres  | postgres
 root      | postgres
 singlesc  | root
 template1 | postgres
(5 rows)

jgreer=# create database x;
CREATE DATABASE
jgreer=# \connect x;
FATAL 1:  Database "x;" does not exist in the system
catalog.
Previous connection kept
jgreer=#

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I do my install which has always worked.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(untar ungzip source)
    (cd to <postgres src dir>/src/)
    ./configure

    gmake
    gmake install

    add this the .bashrc for postgres

    PATH=".":/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
    MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/pgsql/man
    PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
    PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
    export PATH MANPATH PGLIB PGDATA

    (Edit file /etc/ld.so.conf to add a line
     /usr/local/pgsql/lib)
    ( run command /sbin/ldconfig.)

    mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
    chown postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
    su postgres

    initdb
    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i &
    createdb

    # do this for each user
   createuser jgreer        # should pull up user id from
/etc/passwd
    createdb   jgreer

    # add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data"

Thanks
--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla