Re: extremely newbie questions

От Nicholas Chan
Тема Re: extremely newbie questions
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Again, thanks for your reply!

> You can compile PostgreSQL to run on your PC if you are running NT4 or W2K
> (that's how I develop pgAdmin when I'm parked in front of the telly at home
> with my laptop!). You need to use the Cygwin package - there are
> instructions in the PostgreSQL tarball.
 Are there any readily compiled windows NT versions to be downloaded?

> Yes, pgAdmin does that (converts Access tables/indexes but *not* programs to
> PostgreSQL). I think a little clarification is needed here: pgAdmin is an
> admin/design tool for the PostgreSQL database system. PostgreSQL is *not*
> just a file like a simple Access database, it is a program that accepts and
> processes SQL queries and returns resultsets when appropriate. It has it's
> own data files that pgAdmin knows nothing about.
>
> Typically PostgreSQL will run on a server and accept connections from 1 or
> many (perhaps hundereds) of client programs (or people running the same
> program). pgAdmin is one such program that just happens to be designed to
> help manage and build your databases.
 Thanks for the clarification, Dave. That explains a lot of things! And are there any database converters out there
whichcan convert windows based databases, especially Microsoft Access, to PostgreSQL database readable files other than
pgAdmin?

От: Joel Burton
Сообщение: Re: pg 7.x and Access 2000 -> #deleted error
От: Michael Davis
Сообщение: RE: pg 7.x and Access 2000 -> #deleted error